Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Feeling very oriented

Today I had orientation at my internship. Actually, they called it being inducted, but, to me, that sounds like being inducted into an honors society or something. Anyway, it was an awesome day. I got to meet a bunch of other people that work at the galleries and for the foundation and do teambuilding and other stuff with them. We did tours of the galleries, a scavenger hunt, and got to go up on the roof of the museum. From the roof you can see the Thames, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and St. Paul's Cathedral. It was absolutely gorgeous. And! One of the galleries features Impressionist art - Degas, Monet, Matisse - I was in paradise!

I had fun being the only American in a group of 15. The buiding was built in 1775 and features a statue of King George III, so I had several witty comments concerning that. I also got teased for my American accent and spelling, but in a friendly way. Everyone there is so nice and I'm having an absolute blast. It's making me think a lot more seriously about graduate school for public history.

Fun story from today: one of the galleries features a collection donated by an American - some real estate mongul. One of the women that was in the orientation group asked me if I knew him, and when I said no, she seemed surprised. Apparently all Americans know each other, or so it would seem.

I've been sort of sick lately, but I'm hoping to get over that by Saturday (the big 2-1!), so it's off to bed for me!

1 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Mr Tim said...

Tolken American Girl,

I'm surry, I didn't realize you COULD think more seriously about public history grad school. Glad you like the work though. I hope George III had some oak trees installed so people there would have someone to talk to.

-Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home