Monday, January 22, 2007

Working for a living

Well, not really, seeing as I don't get paid at my internship. But, hey, it's pretty much my dream job. Just add a salary.

I'm working for a foundation that runs three galleries here in London in their marketing department. After some stress about whether or not I would actually have this internship, I started today and I am sooo happy. It's almost making me forget that I can't breathe out my nose. Almost.

(Side note: Europe + lots of smokers + me with a cold = sadness)

Anyway! I get to the office this morning in central London and take the lift up to the marketing department's office. There my advisor shows me to my own personal (!) desk next to a window that overlooks the Thames. If the door across the hall is open, which it usually is, I also have a clear view out over the courtyard to the other half of the building. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I love my internship coordinators who I share the office with. I think I might end up being their resident tech guru (how unusual!), but for today I stuck with data entry and website archiving. Wednesday I get to go on a huge orientation for anyone hired at the foundation in the last 2 months. It's pretty intense - 9-5 with a few breaks for lunch and tea (of course) to learn all about the history of the foundation, the galleries, etc. I can't wait! I also get a security pass that not only gets me into the galleries and up to my office, but it gives me free access into every museum and gallery in London!

The foundation also covers my lunch when I'm working as well as my tube costs to get to and from central London, which is awesome. Plus I love what I'm doing - and it was just the first day!

I was going to do a long post about the idiocyncracies of London, but I am currently too mad at the Internet. My wireless modem is somewhere in the British Isles. I think. Also pictures from clubbing this weekend to come - I caved to the whole leggings/miniskirt craze (I think Europe is having an effect on me). Previews of idiosyncracies to be described at a later date: hot/cold water, the Russian mob, the Circle line, and that damn @ key.

Tomorrow I've got 2 classes - and one's at the National Portrait Gallery! I'm definitley going to get back to IC in August and suffer culture shock from actually having to sit in a classroom.

I think that's all for now. In closing, I would like to point out that Danielle is in Singapore and Laurel is in India and the one that can't get on the internet is in London. That is all.

1 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russian Mob?!?! Get out of town, thats fantastic! Im glad you are having a great time, i knew you would! Love always, Jho

 

Post a Comment

<< Home