Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Making an 18th Century Building Look Old

Today was the best day I've had at my internship so far this semester. A film crew came in today to start setting up for a shoot tomorrow for a pretty major movie that will be coming out next winter. One of my bosses took me to the location, which was being set up to look like a 19th century street (granted, the building I work in was built in the 18th century, but we've added lights since then).

It was such an amazing experience. False walls were being put up, barrels of... something... were being carried around, and there was a dead rat in a windowsill (I'm pretty sure it was fake, but there are some live chickens and a dog coming in tomorrow). The propmaster was paying attention to even the smallest detail - they're not even filming on the second story, but it was being redone as well in case of crane shots. I even invited myself to the actual shoot tomorrow, with the potential of meeting some actual stars (I'm sworn to secrecy, but I promise that it is cool that I get to meet them).

Just as an aside - I think what the museum is doing is a great idea for several reasons. First, the studio is paying a ton of money to use the museum as a set, which is so important to non-profits. Second, the museum gets film credit for it, as well as word-of-mouth promoting it as a cultural destination as well as a potential place to film. Unfortunately, with the logistics required for a shoot like this (and my boss was running around all day), it becomes too much of a hassle. I'm hoping they can work that out, though, because it really is incredible to see what the museum can be used for.

More tomorrow after the big filming day (and right before spring break!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home